Friday, February 18, 2011

Blog 5: The Choice to be Childless

        I remember sitting with my father when I was about twelve or so and telling him that I am never having kids. He, of course, asked why and told me that it was my decision. I haven’t changed my mind since I was twelve and I am now in my mid-thirties. The biggest reason that I still have not had a child is because I have a lot of goals that I want to achieve; I am very involved in martial arts, getting pregnant would make me have to stop the sport all together until well after the birth. Another reason that I have chosen to not have children is because of school; my goal is to get my Masters degree and having a child would greatly reduce the rate at which I could achieve that goal. Finally, the overwhelming reason that I have not had children is because I have never felt the desire to have them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara,

    I completely respect your decision on not having children. I believe a lot of women are post-poning or deciding not to have kids all together because women are so much more career oriented. I myself am don’t see me having children anytime soon. Then again I am only 22, but after working for a school district as a Pre-K teachers’ aide it gave me good insight on what it takes to handle little ones. I just couldn’t do it. I resigned from my job 4 months later. I am also way too involved in school and have many goals to reach like you. School and building up my career is my main priority and having children or even taking on a serious relationship could distract me from those goals. Plus I am only 22, I have plenty of more time to consider any of those options later in life.

    ReplyDelete