Sunday, March 20, 2011
Blog 10: Factors Influencing a Healthy Lifestyle
I believe that the things you experience in your lifetime influence your choices to lead a healthier lifestyle in order to reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer. I know that my experiences with different illnesses in my family have influenced my decision to stop smoking, become a vegetarian and exercise on a regular basis. I have witnessed several of my uncles and aunts battle cancer and eventually lose. I never really thought about the link between cancer, diet and exercise but I did know that cancer was something that I wanted to take an active role in preventing. I began searching out information on cancer and what measures to take towards prevention. My biggest learning experience came when my father was rushed in for emergency surgery to fix his coronary arteries; three of them had become 99% occluded. Through his recovery, I began to learn about diet and exercise and eventually changed my diet to completely vegetarian, started exercising and eventually I was able to quit smoking. My mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, she is currently receiving chemotherapy, which has reinforced my interest in eating as healthy as possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really enjoyed your blog. I felt like I could personally identify with all that you were saying. I enjoyed reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteTara,
ReplyDeleteFirst I want to say that I am sorry to hear about your mother's breast cancer diagnose. I pray that with faith, your mother's fight, family support and physician's care that she has a complete recovery. Next I applaud you for learning from your family's health struggles you was able to kick that nicotine habit. I know that it wasn't easy at all. I wish the best in your efforts to stay on a healthy path.
I have been where you are right now watching and supporting your mother in a medical battle. You continue to strong and optimistic. I will definitely keep your mother and the rest of your family in my prayers.
Carla T